Many of our patients get very frustrated when they hurt their back because it affects so much of their daily activities. The good news is that for 90% of sufferers, back pain will resolve within a few weeks. This short term or “acute” pain is the body’s natural response to an injury or damage to the body. For the other 10%, there are things that can be done to reduce the risk of the pain becoming long term or “chronic”.
Firstly, it is important to get the advice of a health professional such as your doctor or physiotherapist. Voice any worries and concerns and ask any questions you may have. A physiotherapist or doctor can also order any necessary investigations such as x-rays if something more serious is suspected. It is worth noting that you do not need a referral to see a physiotherapist.
Once the physiotherapist or doctor has confirmed there is nothing serious to worry about, it is important to stay active and not to stay away from employed work for too long. A physiotherapist can help reduce inflammation and pain as well as prescribe an exercise program to help you stay active, including finding ways to perform work tasks without flaring up your pain. A doctor may also suggest short term pain relief or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.
Remember: most low back pain resolves itself. It is important to remain as a mobile as possible without flaring up your pain.
To see how Philip Wood Physiotherapy can help with your pain, contact us on 9838 3030 or www.philipwoodphysio.net.au